Am I spiritually ready for Baptism?
Baptism is an outward expression of an inward commitment to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Hope Church believes the decision to be baptized is up to the individual and that he or she must understand what it means to be a Disciple (or apprentice) of Christ in the city of New York.
Once someone professes faith in Jesus , the scripture says they should proclaim the life change that has occurred—the watching world needs to know (especially in a context that often suggest we keep our spiritual beliefs private). The following questions help clarify whether one is ready to be baptized:
- Have you acknowledged that sin, shame, guilt, fear, and self accusation separate us from the consistent presence of God?
- Have you given up all efforts to reach God through your own good works or religious activity?
- Have you concluded and confessed that Jesus Christ’s death, resurrection, and ascension is a historical act that has been done on our behalf giving us the ability to reconnect with a God who loves us and pursues us?
- Have you decided to trust Christ alone for your salvation and fulness of life now?
How do I get baptized at Hope?
- Complete a Baptism registration form below
- Attend a post service Baptism Information Meeting
In the weeks leading up to the Baptism weekend, each participant is asked to attend a brief informational meeting immediately following weekend service, where a Hope pastor reviews the church’s statement on the biblical basis for Baptism and answers questions.
- Get Baptized! There is no other celebration in our city like it! Hope leaders and pastors will immerse you in water during our Sunday gathering. As you are lowered into the water it is a symbolic and public declaration that you have died to your agenda and place your life in the hands of the one who died for you. As you are raised up from the water it is a public declaration that you believe Christ to be more than a good moral teacher, but one who defeated death and has given you the ability to do the same.